Tuesday, August 4, 2009

In Touch With Nature Part II

As I was saying, I love my job because it allows me to go up and down the mountain and enjoy the view of the valley and the mountain tops. Plus, walking outside always puts one in intimate contact with nature. First of all, I am never really sure what animals I would encounter. My room has housed crickets, lizards, large spiders, mice (like the one i found in my suitcase...) and your other normal critters. In the households, the dogs and the chickens are allowed to run freely while the goats and sheeps are tied up. But in the moutains, animals are allowed even more freedom. You can see pigs, baby goats and everything moving around. I encountered two baby goats the other day while climbing up the rocks to Kuwdé. They were so tiny and fuzzy that I really thought about having a pet goat.

Today, as it turns out, I would be surprised at what animal I would meet. I had gone up the Kuwdé for a meeting with the committee of the case de santé and the families that have participated in the pilot health program. Since there were no other modes of transportation other than by foot, I arrived late due to my previous meeting. I hurriedly moved to my seat in front of the classroom and looked around at the participants, "One person, two person... good.... a monkey... another person... WHAT? There is a monkey at my meeting?"

It turns out that Odile, one of the community health workers had a son with a pet monkey that replied to the name "C'est moi" (it's me). Madeline had asked if the monkey could join the meeting and was granted permission. Thus, there was a monkey at my meeting. He was a very good and quiet monkey even though I believe that the meeting about health insurance seriously bored him. At one point, he was lying on the table looking like he wanted to take a nap. I was cracking up, but I had to keep a strict face for the sake of everyone else.

On my way home, I marveled at how much outdoor experiences that I have had here. Almost every moment is occupied outside. My shoes are always caked with mud, and I can never cease to admire the beauty of the savana and the rosy color of the sunset. Now that it is night, there is a concert outside my room performed by crickets, frogs and toads. Every time that I try to walk outside at night, I never fail to step on some kind of toad. Since there is no electricity here, the sky is perfect for star gazing.

I am surprised at how well i have adapted to no electricity, no running water and plumbing system. I have officially learned how to follow the schedule of the sun and how to shower with only a half bucket of water. Here, nature is at a finger's touch, and I liked how I know my surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment