Monday, July 6, 2009

Brief intercession

I have to say that every time I am in Kara alone, I end up finding friends and Chinese people. First, I saw Laby, who is a master in linguistics from my village. He helped me out, but had to leave with his girlfriend to go back home. Right now, I am actually in the house of some Chinese people who were sent by the government to aid Togo. Howdid that happen? Well, I was buying bananas when two chinese men approached me and said, "Ni Hao." I was so taken aback by correct Chinese that I immediately responded in Chinese as well. It turned out that there was a van full of Chinese people from Sheng Yang who worked with the Chinese hospital here in Kara. They were so surprised to find a Chinese in Togo that they immediately took me to their house for lunch. There a lady who is the head of the team. There are 4 other men, and a young translator. All of them thought that I was too young to a college student. Some of them said that their daughters are older than me. Well, I can't help it. Because all Chinese people are endearing to each other outside of China, they stuffed my bag with gifts of food and drink. They felt sorry that I have to live in a village with no electricity or running water. I am grateful to them, but I told them that life in the village was fine.

Onto more productive topics. I am working with the insurance system more and more. The plan is to go over Tara's budget for the cas de Sante. Kalina, Charlie's daughter, and her boyfriend are both here to work with the medical system with me. I am really excited because Jeff is supposed to be a medical management major, so his expertise would be greatly appreciated in this project. Presently, I am working on writing up forms and future evaluations. I am trying to work out all sort of kinks. I will talk to many of the people who participated in the insurance system last year and have their inputs. Hopefully, everything will work out.

Now I feel obliged to talk to the Chinese before I have to leave for Farende. Watch out for next week's blog though, because there are lot of initiations that will go on this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment