Friday, May 29, 2009

Bienvenu à Togo!

Hi there! Thanks for following me as I go on my journey to northern Togo for my global health field work. My trip will start on June 5th, and I will stay in Lome, Togo with several other Duke students and Dr. Charles Piot (my supervising professor) for a week before heading up to northern Togo. Once I am settled in northern Togo, I will be working in a local clinic. In addition, I will be working closely with the village and the local diviners to bring about a collaboration between the modern clinic and the local healers.

Now it is time for a brief profile on Togo:

My version of the CIA country profile on Togo

Capital: Lome Size: About the size of West Virginia Total population: 6,019,877 (CIA estimate expected for July 2009)
  • Just to give a perspective, New York City has about 8.2 million inhabitants.
Language: French is the official language even though are are many local languages. The two major local languages are: Ewe (south), Kabiyé (north)
Major Industry: commercial and subsistence farming, cotton
Favorite National Sport: Soccer
Location: On the coast of West Africa, in the region between Côte d'Ivoire and Nigeria. It is situated between Ghana and Benin and is South of Burkina Faso.
  • Where am I going? Farendé and Kuwdé, both are villages north of Lama-Kara in northern Togo. The northern region is also known as the Kabre region or the Kabiyé region.



No comments:

Post a Comment